The Voice Behind The Morning Announcements

The wide background of Mr. Forbes in broadcasting.
Mr. Jago
Mr. Forbes enthusiastically explains a story to his English class

The teachers here at WHS come from many backgrounds of education and professions, but today we focused on one teacher. That teacher is Mr. Forbes, the man who has been doing the morning announcements at WHS since 2009 and teaching for twenty years and hasn’t stopped ever since.

Mr. Forbes has done many broadcasting jobs, like a TV news anchor for a cable company up north, a radio disc jockey, and got chances to work in New York City to be a news writer for corporations like CBS, NBC, and Channel 11. 

“Working in the city was very cool because that’s where it’s at, it’s the broadcast capital of the world,” said Mr. Forbes during the interview with the Barron Perspective.

As broadcasting work dried up, Mr. Forbes did freelance work, which could be scarce at times, so he chose his “second love,” teaching, in order to keep going.

“Thanks to a gentleman who took interest in me, I was able to get my first teaching job in Paterson, and then I was hired here,” said Mr. Forbes.

From his time doing broadcasting jobs, whether that would’ve been for big news corporations like NBC, or for schools, he stated, “It’s just fun, it’s just fun to do. That’s really it. It’s just enjoyable, I love to communicate.” 

Some of the things Mr. Forbes has been doing for the school include being the emcee for senior nights, being the treasurer for our softball team, percussion contests that Mr. Kohn hosts, and graduation which he has been doing for the last eight years.

Mr. Forbes plans to continue teaching and broadcasting for as long as he can, or in his own words,

“Until they throw me out! Until they tell me that I can’t do it anymore.”