WHS Celebrates Student Author

Science Research student Aleeza Raza published her own medical book
Emma Aponte
Sophomore Aleeza Raza poses with her book “Decoding Medical Careers”

In September of this year, a WHS sophomore, Aleeza Raza, published her very own book titled, “Decoding Medical Careers: A Teenage Guide to Medical Specialties.” Aleeza, board member of the Muslim Club and member of the tennis team, took the class Science Research her freshman year and naturally gravitated towards the medical field. Science research is a class that allows students to develop independent research projects based on their own personal scientific question. The goal in the class is to develop their project and submit their work to prestigious science fairs in New Jersey. Through this class Aleeza was able to discover her love for medicine and her ambition to pursue a career in medicine in the future. She faced some setbacks, like not getting into the science fair, but this only pushed her to work harder.

After this happened, Aleeza was still very interested in pursuing a career in medicine but she wanted some sort of guide about the different medical specialties there are. When she couldn’t find this she decided to create it herself.

“It’s definitely something I was passionate about, (and) something I personally wanted to know more about,” said Raza. “I did this so other people could benefit from it as well.”

Aleeza explained that the process of writing and publishing this book was lengthy and took over the course of six months. She gathered all of her research and data from reputable sources, hospitals, and doctors. All of her research is also FDA approved, explained by the science research teacher at our school, Mrs. Clarke. Aleeza wrote her manuscript from May to August, edited during late August, and finally published her book in September.

What Aleeza has accomplished is nothing short of remarkable. Mrs. Clarke had nothing but high praise of her student.

“She was determined, goal oriented, and she had a plan and she executed that plan superbly,” she said.

Aleeza has shown us all at WHS that with hard work and dedication you can not only achieve your own goals but can also make the world a better place. The Barron Perspective congratulates Aleeza and all of her accomplishments!

“Follow my Instagram account @decodingmedicalcareers, and I encourage people to buy a copy of my book on Amazon, I promise you won’t be disappointed.”