The Impact of Social Media on Mental Health

In our technology reliant world, many of the young generations have grown up with a device in their hand. Social media has become an important pillar in the daily lives of many, but not everyone realizes the serve impact social media is causing to their mental health.
This image shows the stress, anxiety, and bad mental health that comes with the excessive use of social media.
RISE Housing and Support Services

Today, lots of us spend a ton of time on social media. It’s where we chat, share stuff, and see what others are up to. But spending too much time on it can impact our mental well-being. 

Social media makes us compare ourselves to others. We see all these pictures and fun posts, and we start feeling like our lives are good enough. That can make us feel sad or worried. Plus, always being on our phones can be tiring. 

Social media as a platform has redefined how we communicate, connect and perceive the world around us. However, the addiction to these platforms leads to detrimental effects in our mental health. Studies have shown a connection between excessive social media use and heightened levels of stress, anxiety and depression. These high levels are particularly seen in the younger generations. 

For  kids and teens especially, phones are a big deal. It feels like we’re always connected, and it’s hard to take a break. 

But there are things we can do to feel better. First, we need to take breaks from our phones. It’s important to set limits on how much time we spend on social media. Also, we should remember not everything we see online is real. People often show only the good stuff, not the tough parts of life. 

Building strong friendships offline and doing things we enjoy, can help us feel happier. It’s also good to take breaks from screens and do activities like drawing or playing outside. 

Learning how to use social media wisely is also important. This means understanding what we see online and not believing everything we read or see. It’s like knowing that what’s on social media isn’t always the full story.

Lastly, the companies that make social media can help too. They could make things less about getting lots of likes and more about making us feel good. They should focus on making us feel happy and safe while using social media.

Social media can sometimes make us not feel good about ourselves, but taking breaks, enjoying time offline, and learning how to use it wisely, we can feel better. Companies also can help by making social media a platform that is a safe place for everyone online.