Coach Urbano Announces Retirement from WHS Diamond

Mr. Perry

Coach Urbano recently announced his retirement from coaching at Woodbridge High School. His coaches and players supported him throughout his term here as the head baseball coach. (Courtesy of Mr. Perry’s Twitter account, @WHS_Perry)

Jack Golden, Sports Writer

After 25 years, Mr. Urbano, the head baseball coach, is retiring from coaching at the high school level.

On September 21, Greg Tufaro released an article on mycentraljersey.com, announcing Coach Urbano’s intention to retire from coaching at Woodbridge High School and become an assistant coach at Kean University for the upcoming season.

Coach Urbano said he made up his mind before last season started. “It is time to do something new and there were a few milestones I wanted to hit,” he said. Since 2016, Coach Urbano’s “few milestones” include Home News Tribune Coach of the Year, 300 career wins, and a White Division Championship.

Alongside Coach Urbano for the last four years was his varsity assistant, Mr. Perry, who left the program to become the school’s new vice principal at the beginning of the school year. Mr. Perry helped coach last year’s team to a 25-6 record, and the Greater Middlesex Conference White Division Championship. The team also played in the state championship, but lost to Millburn in the North Jersey, Section 2, Group 4 game.

“Coach Urbano helped me recognize that, while winning was important, it was more important to play and coach the game the right way,” Mr. Perry said, “I’m going to miss the camaraderie we had.”

Coach Urbano’s work ethic and expectations also extended to his players, like NJ.com 2017 baseball Player of the Year, Harry Rutkowski, who now plays for Rutgers, or former captain Zach Joe.

Joe, now in his freshman year, will have Coach Urbano in his dugout come springtime. Joe attributes a number of his achievements at Kean University to Urbano and his guidance. “He knew I had potential to play for a great program like Kean. He said I have hustle and desire to play for them,” he said.

After Coach Urbano announced his intention to retire, the obvious question became, “Who will be the new head coach?” For 2017 GMC Athletic Director of the Year, Mr. Ward, that’s a question that doesn’t need to be answered yet.

For now, Mr. Ward is happy to reflect on Coach Urbano’s long career, and all the good he did for the program. “Coach Urbano did a great job with the baseball program at Woodbridge High School.  All you can ask of a coach is that his team follow the rules, they compete to the best of their abilities. Coach Urbano’s teams checked off every box and then some,” he said.

To close out an impressive high school coaching career after the 2017 campaign is enough for Coach Urbano, who can boast an impressive resume and list of accomplishments, but that isn’t his style. If you ask him, he’ll tell you, “I coached as hard as I could here at Woodbridge High School.”