Nick Nyers Breaks Record for Most Tackles at WHS

Mark Vallaro, Editor

Nick Nyers stands in front of a trophy display case in the WHS gym foyer. Nyers became the school’s all-time tackle leader, with 206, during the September 16th game at Manasquan High School. (Credit: Mark Vallaro)

Senior linebacker Nick Nyers broke the record for the most tackles in recorded Woodbridge High School football history on Saturday, September 16th at Manasquan High School.

In the game against Manasquan High School, Nyers completed 21 tackles to move his career total to 206 tackles. Despite the Barrons’ loss, 0-30, Nyers solidified himself in WHS football history for his feats as a linebacker.

While excited about this record, Nyers is focused on the rest of the season. “Although it’s a nice record to have, the season isn’t over and there are a lot more games to win and goals to achieve,” Nyers said.

Head football coach Mr. Coleman, who has coached Nyers’ since his freshman year of high school, holds Nyers in high regard and is happy for him and his family. “[Nick] never remains complacent. He always asks questions and that’s why he is who he is,” said Coleman.

Nick Nyers trains and conditions all year round to maintain his level of fitness and skill, even during the off season, and goes to the gym sometimes twice a day. Those around him, especially his family, are proud of what he has done and sees the results that have come from it.

Nyers’ father, WHS’ former head football coach, and a current special education teacher in the building, said, “I was just proud of him and his accomplishment… I just couldn’t be happier for him.”

That accomplishment was earned through a combination of hard work, dedication, and goal setting, something the younger Nyers would recommend to any athlete. “Work hard and [don’t] listen to anyone who doubts you. Choose a goal, have tunnel vision, and earn it,” Nyers said.

The WHS football team has recorded tackles since 2003. The previous record holder was Percy Martin-Oguike, Class of 2015,  at 193.