McLaughlin Shines Bright for Barrons’ Wrestling Team

by Alex LaGrippo

Sophomore Bryan McLaughlin has had a tremendous year for the WHS wrestling team, finishing a storybook season with a unbelievable record of 43 wins against three losses. The record isn’t surprising given McLaughlin’s history with the sport.

“To be a good wrestler, you have to be self-motivated and dedicate a lot of your time to the sport, and be able to learn from your mistakes,” he said. McLaughlin, has been wrestling for 12 years, beginning when he was four, which explains his impressive 71-10 career record.

During the season, McLaughlin participates in the school’s team practices in addition to club wrestling practices, which rounds out to roughly 18 hours of wrestling per week. The offseason, however, is no different. McLaughlin can be found wrestling and strength training about four times a week then. The work has obviously paid off this season.

This past winter, McLaughlin captured both a county title and a district title, which qualified him for regionals. “The wins felt pretty good, but it made me want to achieve more,” he said.

The wrestler made it clear that his favorite win this season was in the regional semifinals when he pinned his opponent, clinching a spot in the state tournament, even though he was predicted to lose. At the regional tournament, Mclaughlin placed second, scoring one of three spots from the region in the NJ State Tournament in the process.

At states, Mclaughlin’s campaign towards a title was cut short due to a major injury in his ankle. Yet, after tearing ligaments, he managed to continue wrestling, competing on one knee. After making his way to the state quarterfinals, he fought through the injury, but lost 5-4. In his next match, he lost 16-3, ending the sophomore’s incredible season.

Despite the injury, McLaughlin is looking forward to next year, when he is expected to return to the state tournament and again compete for a state title.

Congratulations to Bryan McLaughlin on a historic run, and best of luck next season.