The Girls’ Basketball Team Dribbles Into a New Season

Silvia Kariuki, Reporter

At Woodbridge High School this November, the Girls’ Basketball team is starting out with a new season. As fall sports come to an end and winter sports start, girls condition and tryout to get ready for their 2018-2019 athletic year.

Brianna De Jesus is one of this season’s veteran players on the the girls’ team. “I am very excited,“ De Jesus stated. “I’m excited to play Bishop Ahr, Spotswood, South Brunswick, and North Brunswick… because last year they were really a tough competition. We beat two of the teams I’ve mentioned, but Bishop Ahr I’m excited to verse because they picked up a new D1 athlete.” With a bright shining smile on De Jesus’s face, it was quite clear that she was ready for this season.

Another girl trying out for this years Girl’s Basketball team is Imani Richardson. Like Brianna, she’s looking forward to versing certain schools and teams. “Definitely JFK. I know a lot of people at JFK, so it’s always a fun game — It’s competitive and fun at the same time,” said Imani.

Imani also believes that she will gain more stability in her left hand, due to her using her right hand throughout most of the past season she played. In all, it was quite clear that she is looking forward to the upcoming season and that she is going to make sure to better her skills.

Everyone has a goal to show the coach what their made of. For this upcoming season, the Girls’ Basketball head coach is Coach Timinski. This year, he has many obstacles to cross and powers to work with. “We have a lot of new faces, and we lost two very good players that are going to be hard to replace,” he said. “We are going to work hard everyday, were going to get better everyday, and we are going to figure out a way to play defense and hopefully score some points!”

Timinski seems to be sticking with the tried and true this season. He stated, “A lot of what we do, like our workouts in the past, depend on their strengths and weaknesses. It’s part of the game to be consistent, to work on your fundamentals is something I believe in.”

Coach Timinski seems pretty focused on the Girls’ Basketball team, as do the players themselves. This year, the Woodbridge Lady Barrons are here to make a comeback, so watch out for them. They’re heading for the finish line!